Head of Programmes is a skill set very much aligned with that of a Programme Manager or Programme Director. The Head of Programmes will manage the Programme Managers within the organisation and be responsible for line management of the Programme Management team. The Head of Programmes is also the person who is responsible for the overall programmes of work within the organisation therefore this role is likely to be found in businesses where there is an advanced maturity in terms of programme and project management.
The Head of Programmes key skills and competencies will include:
- Programme / Project Management experience (in a relevant context)
- Experienced in managing and delivery of complex programmes of work
- Portfolio Management experience
- Staff and resource management
- Ability to form and maintain constructive relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Credibility and confidence to act as the programmes representative
- Excellent leadership skills