Director of Programmes is a skill set very much aligned with that of a Programme Manager or Programme Director. In our experience the term Director of Programmes is more common in the Public and Third Sector environments.
The key factors for the Director of Programmes in this context are focussed on the deliverable in terms of sector skills and experience. For example: “You will be familiar with current practice and trends in international parliamentary strengthening”, or “have several years’ experience in the life sciences sector in evaluating markets for novel products and technologies”
The Director of Programmes still needs the other key skills such as:
- Providing the strategic direction of programmes and projects within the organisation
- Programme / Project management experience (in a relevant context)
- Staff and resource management
- Ability to form and maintain constructive relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Credibility and confidence to act as the programmes representative
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Proven leadership abilities