Do you have a bad career habit?

Profile Icon

This week I received a mailshot which grabbed my attention with a headline stat of 90% of employees have a Career-Limiting Habit that keeps them from achieving their potential at work. The report comes from an organisation I’d seen present at a project management meeting on Influencing they’re called GRA.  From the 920 responses they …

Targeting Success and Excellence – APM event

Profile Icon

The latest local APM event on Tuesday evening, 13th March was hosted by the Holiday Inn, Bolton. It was a very well attended event, even more so than usual with all seats being filled and quite a number of people attending an event for the first time. The theme of the evening was, as the …

Review a Pocket Guide & Enter the March Draw

Profile Icon

Things are rolling to a close this week on the first month of our year-long birthday celebration of prize draws, which you’ll know by title as Ten in Ten. Our great compadres in the publishing game, Gower Publishing, have been gracious enough to make a set list of 10 books (valued at £600 in value) …

Natural Disasters: A Study on Working Together to Mitigate Risk

Profile Icon

A UK aid review recently launched by ex-Liberal Democrat leader Lord Ashdown, says more lives could be saved by faster UK response times to natural disasters. Estimating an increase in the number of people hit yearly by disasters over the next four years from 250 million to 350 million a year, Ashdown is keen to …

Would Self-Study work for me?

Profile Icon

Over the years I have attended classroom courses and also done self-study qualifications. I am often asked which is the best way to study and take accreditations in project management and between the two options the truthful, maybe less helpful, answer is that it depends! There are a number of questions to ask yourself before …

Less Fishing More Communication

Profile Icon

As we draw ever closer to the new fiscal year it’s a good time for reflection – we’ve certainly experienced a rollercoaster of demand with the year starting out very strong. Lots of opportunities and placements made, the market almost seemed dismissive of the difficult years we had encountered previously – during and post recession. …

45% of Project Managers are Happy – What About the Other 55%?

Profile Icon

The latest annual report on the UK’s Programme and Project Management Professionals – the Project Management Benchmark Report from Arras People – is now available on general release for download. This year’s Report polled 1232 permanent and contract Programme and Project Management Professionals during January 2012. Some of the highlights of the PMBR include; The …

Days To Go: Tipoffs on Project Management Challenges

Profile Icon

As some of the UK’s #pmot brethren are in London next week for another installment of the bi-annual Project Challenge, Project Management Tipoffs comes out Thursday with a mind for some of the challenges facing our industry today. It’s simple to say that these are challenging times, but it’s also simple to find support for …

Standing Out in a Project Management Meerkat

Profile Icon

One of the most common questions I still get asked a lot is how can I make my CV stand out when I’m applying for positions? I get asked it so often that we made a presentation and podcast about it – Differentiating Yourself in the Marketplace. You can have a listen to the detailed …

Q&A Project Management Careers – Presentations at Interviews

Profile Icon

I’m at the second stage for an interview for a project management post and I’ve been asked to give a presentation, what hints and tips could you give me? Giving a presentation during the interview process is becoming increasingly common for project managers. It is an ideal opportunity for the interviewers to test many aspects …

Celebrate with us and win over 600 Pounds of project management books!

Profile Icon

ROLL UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Arras People today formally announces the first prize draw in conjunction with co-sponsor Gower Publishing for the Arras People “Ten in Ten: A Celebration of Project Management” Competition. As was announced here last week here at the Camel, the first of 10 monthly free prize draws commences from today as part of Arras …